Sour Patch Cupcakes
These Sour Patch Cupcakes are a “Child of the 80s” DREAM dessert.
1. Sugar – Check
2. Sour Patch Kids – Check
3. Crazy Neon Colors – Check
Yep it’s all there, with the exception of big hair and New Kids on The Block. But a girl can’t have everything, right?
We don’t know how we’ve gone so many years without these Sour Patch Cupcakes. It’s a good thing we eat Sour Patch Kids on a regular basis, thanks to these cheap Individually Wrapped Sour Patch Kids we buy every few months from Amazon.
Before we forget:
- if you like Sour Patch Kids, you MUST check out our Homemade Gummi Bears Recipe.
- Make sure to follow theDealyo on Pinterest to see our other RAD Recipes and DIY Stuff!
INGREDIENTS (Yields 24 Cupcakes)
1 Box of White Cake Mix
3 Eggs (check the back of your cake mix to confirm qty)
1 cup Water (check the back of your cake mix to confirm qty)
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil (check the back of your cake mix to confirm qty)
4 tbsp. Milk
2 cup Butter softened
2 tsp Vanilla
8 cup Powdered sugar
Neon Food Coloring
24 Sour Patch Kids Candies
1/8 cup Sugar
1/8 cup Citric Acid (Amazon sells a ton or check the canning section at Walmart)
1. Make cupcakes according to your cake package directions and let cool
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and add vanilla.
3. Mix in the confectioners sugar one cup at a time.
4. Beat in the milk
5. Divide the icing equally based on the number of colors you want to make.
6. Mix food coloring into each portion of icing to achieve the desired shade.
7. Transfer the icing to a large sized ziploc bag or icing/piping Bag
8. Ice the top of each cupcake.
9. Mix together sugar and citric acid.
10. Dust the top of each cupcake with sugar mixture.
11. Place 1 Sour Patch Kid on top of each cupcake.
Step 12 is a no brainer….demolish all of the cupcakes, but you should probably leave some for the kids or your co-workers.
OTHER RAD RECIPES FROM THEDEALYO: